Wednesday, July 14

quick rant from a "grammar Nazi"

I've noticed lately that people have been mixing up the words "then" and "than" all over the internet. Especially on Facebook. Call me a grammar Nazi all you want, but that crap gets me so IRATE!!!! I know its not super important to use proper English on sites like these, and sometimes, we all just slip up, but I can't help to wonder if some people even know the difference between the two words. Maybe this can help clear it up for some people who may not know.





THEN:
adverb- 
1. at that time: Prices were lower then.
2. immediately or soon afterward: The rain stopped and then started again.
3. next in order of time: We ate, then we started home.
4. at the same time: At first the water seemed blue, then gray.
5. next in order of place: Standing beside Charlie is my uncle, then my cousin, then my brother.
6. in addition; besides; also: I love my job, and then it pays so well.
7. in that case; as a consequence; in those circumstances: If you're sick, then you should stay in bed.
8. since that is so; as it appears; therefore: You have, then, found the mistake? ou are leaving tonight then.

adjective-
9. being; being such; existing or being at the time indicated: The then, Prime Minister.


noun-
10. that time: We have not been back since then. Till then, farewell.

idioms-
11. but then; but on the other hand: I found their conversation very dull, but then I have different tastes.
12. then and there; at the precise time and place; at once; on the spot: It started to pack my things right then and there.



THAN:

conjunction- 

1. (used, as after comparative adjectives and adverbs; to introduce the second member of an unequal comparison): She's taller than I am.
2. (used after some adverbs and adjective expressing choice or diversity, such as other, otherwise, else, anywhere, or different; to introduce an alternative or denote a difference in kind, place, style, identity, etc.): I had no other choice other than that. You won't find such freedom anywhere else than n this country.
3. (used to introduce the rejected choice in expressions of preference): I'd rather walk than drive there.
4. except; other than: We had no choice than to return home.

exposition-
5. in relation to; by comparison with (usually followed by a pronoun in the objective case): He is a person than whom I can imagine no one more courteous.


Do we get the idea now? I don't mean to sound rude or obnoxious about this, but I just think that it's important for people to know how to type and speak properly. Just know that I did this out of love. 

1 comment:

  1. HAHAHAHAHAH !!! Yes I agree!!1 Tell em Webster! lmao'

    Wait...... am i one of those people? I hope not **Bites nails** oh no :0(

    ReplyDelete

tell me what's on your mind